GRANBOROUGH WAR MEMORIAL
Description: The memorial is a free standing Gothic-style Latin cross, with tracery details in the angles of each arm, on a tapering chamfered shaft, standing almost 5m high. The plinth bears the inscription in carved letters;
1914-1918 THEIR NAME LIVETH FOR EVERMORE IN HONOURED REMEMBRANCE OF ALL WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES IN THE GREAT WAR AND ESPECIALLY OF THOSE FROM GRANBOROUGH
The plinth sits on an octagonal two-tiered base, the upper tier inscribed with the names of five men from Granborough who fell in the First World War. Location: St John The Baptist Church, Granborough MK18 3NS
Name: Herbert Foskett (probably)
Service No: 10839
Date of Death: 30th September 1915
Regiment: 2nd Bn. Royal Fusiliers
Cemetery: Pieta Military Cemetery,
Name: Charles Ernest Curtis
Service No: 1141
Date of Death: 21st August 1915
Regiment: Royal Buckinghamshire Hussars
Cemetery: Helles Memorial, Turkey
Son of Robert and Mary Leah Curtis who farmed in LowerHogshaw, Grandborough
Name: Ernest Thomas Rickard
Service No: 26283
Date of Death: 9th April 1917
Regiment: 5th Bn. Oxford and Bucks
Cemetery: Arras Memorial,
Son of Thomas nd Flora Rickard, Husband of Nina Rickard of Grandbrough
Name: Rowland Dickens
Service No: 2061
Date of Death: 22nd February 1915
Regiment: Queen’s Own Oxfordshire
Cemetery: Ypres (Menin Gate),
Son of Edward and Elizabeth Dickend of Grandborough.
Name: Aubery John Dickins
Service No: 5438
Date of Death: 3rd June 1916
Regiment: 1st/28th Bn. London
Regiment (Artists’ Rifles)
Cemetery: St. Sever Cemetery,
Son of Joseph and Gertrude Dickins, of Green End House, Grandborough.
Maintenance of the Memorial
Granborough Parish Council had the war memorial restored in 2011 by Inspire Conservation, with the help of a grant from War Memorials Trust for 50% of the cost. The memorial was cleaned using DOFF system, ammonia bicarbonate solution and quarternary ammonious compound, non metallic brushes, sponges and spatulas. Lime mortar was used for repairs and matching stone fixed with stainless steel dowels and lime mortar where repairs were not possible. The brick base was excavated, soil removed, edges strengthened and the trench filled with pebbles to drain away surface water. The brick base was re-pointed using a colour matched lime mortar. Cementious mortars were removed. The contractor advised against re-cutting of the letters due to the soft nature of the limestone.
The memorial had a further clean in April 2014 by Inspire Conservation. A biocide was applied to the whole monument plus lime mortar repairs were made to the spalling stone and other small fractures. A doff clean was deemed unnecessary. The lettering was once again discussed with both the war memorials trust and the contractor and once again it was decided not to re-cut the lettering.
In September 2016 the memorial was given Listed status by Historic England meaning that any work to the memorial must now be approved.
In April 2017 the Parish Council gained approval from the War Memorials Trust and Historic England, to carry out a further DOFF clean and repair weather damage on the plinth and base. The War Memorials Trust have advised that DOFF cleaning should now only be once every five years, as the cleaning causes erosion.